Question: sponge left behind!!!!!

obxgreys - Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:24 am

[b]my first pregnancy and delivery was nearly 3 years ago. It was an uneventful pregnancy and superfast delivery! So fast that the doctor left a sponge inside me! I belive it was 1-2 weeks before it was discovered and taken out. Before that I walked around hunched over and from the waist down was dead weight!
My question? Well, I was just watching a show on TLC, "When Medical Tools Get Left Behind" and it got me thinking about my experience... We have been trying to get pregnant for some time now, and I'm wondering if the sponge or sponges being left behind may have created an infection that may have damaged in some way my "insides" making it difficult or impossible to get pregnant now! Any doctors or other health care professionals out there with an answer?[/
b]
 Dr. Wafaa Abdel-Hadi - Tue May 03, 2005 4:15 pm

Dear Obxgreys,

I am sorry to hear about your problem. Ofcourse the sponge being left inside your tummy have caused alot of adhesions around it ...it's the body's defensive mechanism... in addition to the normal adhesions following the cesarean section delivery.

Any maneuvers inside the body produce some adhesions...so leaving a foreign body inside it must have caused severe forms of adhesions ofcourse.

and this is a major factor for infertility... and the ability to conceive(get pregnant).
My advice for you is to seek a Gynaecologist... he will ask for a hysteroscopy/hysterosalpingography and will inject a dye...to see if it passes well through your fallopian tubes...and he can also do an ultrasound +/- CT scan of the pelvis ...to assess the severity of adhesions and the possiblity to concieve the normal way....and according to his opinion he can tell you if it's feasible the normal way or you will need assisted measures for reproduction...i.e IVF (invitro fertilization).

Best wishes,
 Dr. Wafaa Abdel-Hadi - Wed May 04, 2005 1:14 am

Dear Obxgreys,

you are more than welcome. you didn't have a c-section?! and he left a sponge in your uterus itself!!??....well, it would cause alot of adhesions ofcourse...but some of it should have shedded with your normal period!! Well, it's the same scenario but from the inside... adhesions closing the openings to your tubes ....so you'll need to do the tests that i suggested hysteroscope... a small camera to see what's going on and determine the damage caused by the sponge.

you didn't have excessive abnormal bleeding with the sponge in?! and you didn't have pain during intercourse?!

best regards,

|