Question: bartholin gland cyst and surgery

pmkmp - Fri May 06, 2005 11:14 am

I had surgery in November of 2003 for a golf ball sized cyst in my bartholin gland. The gland was not removed, but drained. The doctor packed it after surgery and I was rechecked 2 days after the surgery. In time the stitches fell out. I have been to the doctor for regular visits since the surgery and he says the incision looks fine. I am concerned though because it left a sort of "crater" in that spot. Occasionally, once or twice a month, I experience irritation there (usually from tight clothing, underwear, intercourse, etc). It will look like a puss-filled pimple. I can easily pop it and the pain will subside. I soak the area wih warm water and keep it very clean. Is this all normal? It has been a year and a half since the surgery - how long will I deal with stuff? My doctor says I'm fine, but I'm looking for any other opinions and general support. Thank you!
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sat May 07, 2005 3:16 am

User avatar Hi pmkmp,
Approximately 10% of abcesses recur. My questions for you, after drainage, was the fluid sent for a pathology evaluation? Have you discussed with your physician that the area continues to become abcessed? If not, I would suggest you do so. Recurrent abcesses develop because when the abcess opens it doesn't completely drain, therefore plugs off, repeating the cycle. Again I would suggest discussing this with your physician.
 pmkmp - Mon May 09, 2005 9:11 am

Rntdj,

Thank you for your insight. I will certainly speak with my physician about the points you brought up. I appreaciate your help!

pmkmp

|