Question: no periods, please help

LBanana256 - Sun May 15, 2005 10:46 am

In the past 3 years I have had 1-2 periods a year. About 6-8 months after becoming irregular, I gained alot of weight fast. I went from 135-200lbs. My bra size went from a C-DDD in a matter of months. I am not pregnant, nor have I ever been pregnant. I have never been on ant form of birth control or medication. I went to a GYN and was told that my blood platelet count was low, my white blood cell count was high, and dispite 2 ultrasounds, they could not see my right ovary. I was not given a diagnosis and was told to go home, come back for my yearly, and not to worry "it's all in your head". Every now and then I have cramps so bad I can't move. The cramps get so bad that I throw up sometimes. Also, I sometimes get the regular soreness and symptems that go along with a period, but I don't bleed. I am really starting to get scared because this is not normal and my doctor doesn't seem to care. As of a year ago I tested neg. for cancer, diabetes, and STD's. Please help me make sense of all this. :? Thank you
 Theresa Jones, RN - Mon May 16, 2005 6:35 am

User avatar Hi LBanana256,
If your ovaries could not properly be evaluated by a regular ultrasound, was a transvaginal ultrasound or a CT scan suggested for evaluation? Where your cycles regular previously? If you had that significant amount of weight gain ,was any labwork completed to evaluate thyroid/endocrine function? If these diagnostic studies were not completed to identify the problem then I would suggest a re-evaluation by your family physician and a possible referral for another definitive opinion (an edocrinologist).
 Lisa K, RN - Fri May 20, 2005 8:39 pm

User avatar Hi there,

Is there any reason why you gained 65 lbs in a matter of 6-8 months? Did your diet or lifestyle change? I only ask because that's a fair bit over a short period of time - and I was curious if you've ever had your thyroid (gland) function checked out...........sadly, hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid gland - and the thyroid gland is what controls our metabolism) is very commonly UNdiagnosed in women. It can result in significant unexplained weight gain, menstrual cycle irregularities (as well as a whole lot of other symptoms such as: feeling cold a lot of the time, feeling tired, hair loss, "brain fog", depression, constipation, etc). Lots of women have "autoimmune thyroiditis" - a condition where your thyroid gland basically begins to attacks itself....leaving a woman with a poorly functioning thyroid gland, such that it's underactive...metabolism is very slow. It's easily treatable with meds............but lots of docs don't do the proper tests for it...which is "thyroid antibodies"........this test isn't a "usual" test you'd have done, you'd have to ask for it (in the case that your doc didn't think to order it)........that's above and beyond the normal TSH and T4 and T3.
Just thought I'd ask if you've ever had your thyroid function checked.

|