Question: What is the normal measurements of Endometrial Stripe

wendifrost - Thu May 19, 2005 11:51 am

I have been bleeding (shows in U A's) since early January. This has remained consistant. Throughout this time possible reasons and additional tests have shown changing facts. There was an ovarian cyst, then non obstructing calculus in the uterer & one kidney, next showed two kidney stones first non obstructing, then partially in the left uereter, and one in the right kidney. Now no stone, 1 ovarian cyst, still bleeding and mention of endometrial stripe measuring in an transvaginal ultra sound at 9 mm. Exactly what is endometrial stripe, & does it sound like I should persue the avenue for additional tests because my general physician does not seem to know. Also showed ovarian follicles, but that is normal, correct?
 Lisa K, RN - Sat May 21, 2005 10:08 am

User avatar Hello Wendi,

First let me ask, what age are you? Are you going through/have you gone through menopause yet? Why do I ask? Well.......endometrial stripe is basically the "thickness" of the inner lining (endometrium) of your uterus. Age/menopausal state plays a factor in determining whether the thickness is something to be concerned about/further investigated.

For example, in a post-menopausal women, an endometrial stripe (thickness) of greater than 8mm is cause for further investigation, though some consider 5mm to be the "cut-off."

However, in menstruating women, it's not abnormal for the thickness to be up to 13mm during the proliferative stage of the cycle.......so the signficance of your endometrial stripe REALLY depends on your age/whether you're menopausal or not, etc.

Are you on any source of estrogen? The Pill? Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT)?

It's certainly understandable, the fact that you had kidney stones, to have had blood in your urine, detectable with the urinalysis........but you say you have continued bleeding. How do you know this? Are you continuing to have urinalysis done? Is that where the blood is showing up or are you having any kind of vaginal bleeding/spotting?

Is your general physician a Gynecologist? If not, you should be seeing a Gynecologist - I'm not sure how that works in the U.S. (I'm in Canada)...whether you need a referral to see one or not.

Are you having any other symptoms? Pelvic discomfort? Any kind of vaginal discharge that's not "normal" for you? Have you had regular Pap smears/have they been normal?

And yes - ovarian follicles are normal.

|