News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Girlfriend hasn't had her period in 7 weeks

thomas83 - Wed May 25, 2005 7:32 pm

Hi,
My girlfriend got off birth control (OrthoEvra) about 7 weeks ago. After she stopped using the patch, we used condoms when we had sex. Not once during that period did we have unprotected sex. About 3 weeks ago, she started using the ring birth control method. Thing is, she hasn't had her period in 7 weeks though. Could this be normal because of stopping birth control/starting a new one? I'm starting to get really worried. I know we always used a condom... but who knows. What do you think?

Tommy

P.S.: She's buying a pregnancy test on friday.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Thu May 26, 2005 6:20 am

User avatar Hi thomas83,
It is quite wise of her to perform a pregnancy test to rule out the possibility of pregnancy. However, keep in mind that absent menstrual cycles do sometimes occur as a result of taking/changing birth control and also may be caused by numerous other reasons aside from pregnancy.
Sincerely,
Rntdj
 thomas83 - Sun May 29, 2005 4:16 pm

We were quite happy when my girlfriend got her period the night I made the first post. Thing is, she only had it for one day and hasn't gotten again since. What could that mean?
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sun May 29, 2005 9:47 pm

User avatar Hi thomas83,
I would still probably relate it to the change in birth control, but again she may want to perform a pregnancy test to rule out pregnancy.
Sincerely,
Rntdj

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here