News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Breast discharge

jennifersut - Wed May 25, 2005 9:34 pm

I am 28 years old and have only experienced some nipple discharge once before. It is milky white (clear at first) and only present when I press on my breast(right only). Today, however, I noticed that my right breast is actually a bit larger than the left and as I pressed on my breast, a milky substance actually squirted out in a rather significant amount. WHAT THE HECK IS THIS? I just finished my cycle on Monday. Please help. My doctor cannot see me for almost 3 weeks and I am a bit concerned.

[/code]
 Theresa Jones, RN - Thu May 26, 2005 6:59 am

User avatar Hi jennifersut,
If you have just finished your menstrual cycle and it was normal disregard my suggestion of performing the pregnancy test that I stated in your other post. Otherwise you may view my response to your other post.
http://www.doctorslounge.com/forums/vie ... hp?p=14234
Sincerely,
Rntdj
 jennifersut - Fri May 27, 2005 5:49 am

Thank you for the response. I did just finish my cycle and cannot be seen by my doctor for three weeks. At least I now have some possible problems/symptoms/causes to do some research on. I was reading up on the Pituitary Gland and something called prolactinomas. I have put on about 13-15 pounds over the couse of the last 12 weeks. This is not usual for me. I am rather stable at about 120, so 135 is a very big jump. I am also having a hard time dealing with simple daily stress. I have worked a 60 hour week with no problems until now. It seems like I cry at the slightest whim. I DO know that I am not pregnant , so hopefully I can find some answers.

Thanks,
Jennifer
 ajpviau - Fri May 27, 2005 12:50 pm

My wife has had similar discharge from both her breasts. Her's started out milky white, but has since turned a light brownish colour. Her doctor did some test and found she had a thyroid problem as well as raised levels of prolactin which he said might be causing the discharge. She has been on meds to bring her thyroids and prolactin back to normal whcih they have done perfectly although she is still having this brownish milky and sticky discharge from her breasts. She is going back to the doctor again soon for a follow-up and hopefully some more answers as to what other possible cause there could be for this discharge as it is still happening.

If she does have a prolactinoma, could this still cause discharge even if her prolactin levels are back to normal?

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here