News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: heavy, prolonged bleeding.

aximilli92a - Thu May 26, 2005 2:28 am

I am a 21 year old female. I have had a regular, healthy cycle since I was 12 (up until now that is). One miscarriage at 6 weeks and one live birth 2 1/2 yrs ago. I am married and have no history of std's. For the last year or so I have been having heavy and now prolonged periods. It started with going through about 2-3 tampons and a pad in an hour. i went to my doctor and he (without running any tests!) said "sometimes this just happens". I would do this for 2-3 days out of a 10 day period. The doctor never did anything. Then in November of last year I started having 2 week periods, very heavy for 3-5 days of it. And on March 7 I started a period that didn't end until May 5. Then I started bleeding again on May 11 and am still bleeding. Any ideas on what is causing this? It's driving me insane! I am so tired all of the time. Most mornings I can bareley get out of bed, much less clean my house. And yes, I do have a new doctor. A pap smear came back fine and I am waiting for my next appointment with her. Anyone can post whether you are a doctor or not. I am just so scared that I will have to have a hysterectomy. You can also e-mail me at aximilli92a@aol.com
 Theresa Jones, RN - Thu May 26, 2005 7:23 am

User avatar Hi aximilli92a,
Diagnostic studies should be part of your evaluation. This type of abnormal vaginal bleeding may cause anemia from the severe blood loss, which lead to other medical problems. Benign (noncancerous) disorders that may cause this type of bleeding are uterine fibroids, polyps, thyroid dysfunction etc. Regardless of the cause at the very least labwork should be completed as well as an ultrasound. Although on occasion some woman experience abnormal vaginal bleeding due to shifts in hormone balance, life stressors etc. However, recurrent continual episodes should trigger an alert for further diagnostic studies because this doesn't "just happen sometimes".
Sincerely,
Rntdj

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here