Question: Toxic Shock Syndrome questions....

maiden75 - Sat May 28, 2005 8:10 am

First of all, thatnks for reading my post. I am 29 years old and have used tampons pretty much since I was 14, except for the last few years (been pregnant, or just using pads). My husband and I were debating about TSS (I don't even remember WHY!) :roll: and had some questions:

1. Being 29 and using tampons on and off for 15 yrs with no problems, is it most likely that I am at low risk for getting sick?

2. How long does a tampon have to be in before it can become dangerous? Is it only dangerous if you've had it in for a long time?

3. Are low absorbency tampons safe?

4. If I use a tampon it is only maybe once or twice a day for 3-4 hrs at a time, the rest of the time I use pads, so is the risk still possible?

5. If I tested positive for Group B Strep does that incresase my risks???

Thank you very much!!
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Mon May 30, 2005 8:54 am

User avatar
maiden75 wrote:1. Being 29 and using tampons on and off for 15 yrs with no problems, is it most likely that I am at low risk for getting sick?

Everyone who uses tampons is at the same risk for TSS

It is recommended you use the tampon only as long as you need it.

3. Are low absorbency tampons safe?

They say the lower absorbency is safer.

When you do use them, the percentage risk is the same.

[/quote]5. If I tested positive for Group B Strep does that incresase my risks??? [/quote]

Not to my knowledge.

It is really very rare, only 1-17 women out of 100,000 get it, so don't worry! :D

Shannon Morgan, CMA
 maiden75 - Mon May 30, 2005 8:50 pm

:wink:

Thanks for your response, I appreciate it!

:D
 DeiStarr - Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:20 am

I am not quite 18; rarely use tampons, and when I do, I only use them for a couple of hours; for swimming, etc.
Today I started my period unexpectedly at work, and had no supplies. Someone gave me a tampon; a tampax, which I've never used before. I did not get a break, so couldn't change it until after work. However, I forgot I had it in.
I had it in for nearly 9 hours, and was feeling sick and dizzy when I remembered it a few minutes ago. I took it out, and it hurt coming out. Tampons never hurt me in the past.
My symptoms were headache, faint nausea, faintness and dizziness... I'm a bit shaky, too...
Should I call the hospital? I don't have anybody I can talk to, as I live alone, and my friends are sleeping. What should I do? Help me please!
 Jumelle - Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:03 pm

Apologies for replying to this post but couldn't work out how to start a new one!

I would like some advice regarding the removal of tampons. 5 days ago when I tried to remove my tampon I couldn't find the thread and my fingers could just about reach inside and feel what I think was the end (quite spongy and about the same size). The following day I saw my doctor who tried to remove it. An internal examination with hands was tried first to which i was told she could feel it but couldn't get a proper grip as too far inside!!! So a spatula or something was then tried to no avail before reverting back to hands and then the spatula again. I was told that she could see my cervix but couldn't find a tampon and that it must have come out when I had been to the toilet. When I went home I still didn't feel right and had a little feel and it still feels as though something is up there. Could it be that my doctor missed it? Or could I perhaps have irritated or caused an infection that is causing the problem of me feeling funny? I think the fact that she thought she could feel something at first and then changed her mind is worrying me incase she did miss it and it is still inside me.

I am 25 and I have been using tampons for 3 years now without ever having any problems. I am on no medication.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to bother my doctor again incase wasting her time.

|