News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Missing Period, white discharge.

StarAngelCrystal - Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:45 am

I am a 19 yr old with a soon to be 2 yr old daughter and ever since I had my daughter, my periods have been a little painful. They were not to bad but they were normal. In the month of May, I skipped my period entirely but continued to have abdominal cramps, and cold flashes on very hot days. Instead of having my period, I have discharging white, thick discharge that has a slight odor to it. Close to the end of the month, my discharge would, well, discharge so much that I thought I started my period, but did not. Is this normal in any way? The last time I had sex was back in October of 04. I did not take a pregnancy test since I only skipped the month of May and figured that I cannot be pregnant. Should I go talk to a gyn. about this matter or wait it out? Thank you.
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Wed Jun 01, 2005 4:26 pm

User avatar You should test as soon as your first missed period. You could quite possibly be pregnant. Are you on any hormonal birth control?

Is the discharge slightly like cottage cheese consistency? Do you have any itching, or irritation? If so, it may be a simple yeast infection, you can get over the counter treatments such as monistat for that.

Is the smell bad, resembling fish? If so, get to a doctor and get it treated. It could be an STD or simple bacterial vaginitis.

Remember not to use feminie hygiene products and especially don't douche! These things upset the normal balance of bacteria that keep the vagina healthy. Many also contain perfumes, it's just a bad idea. Bathing every day with soap and water is sufficient.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here