Question: Ovarian/Adnexal Simple Cyst Pain

spensaid0003 - Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:59 pm

Hi, I am in search of advice/answers. Test results, symptoms/timeline listed below. 34y/o. 2 pregnancies / 2 sons delivered by c-section (2000 & 2003). I have been on Birth Control Pills since February (I thought I might be pregnant with some of my symptoms but 2 tests were negative over a 2 month time span). LMP 5/18/05.

Mid April 2005 felt dull pain left lower abdomen (mainly with activity). Told my Primary Doctor about it at well visit on May 11, 2005. She felt a mass & sent me for testing.

--CT results (5/19/05) 5.9 x 5.8 cm cystic lesion within the left adnexa. Produces mass effect upon the left superior bladder.
--U/S results (5/21/05) 5.4 x 4.9 cm left ovarian/adnexal simple cyst arising in the left adnexal region (left ovary is not identified). Also found was a 2.7 x 2.3 cm anterior subserosal leiomyoma.

I have the urge to urinate often, especially when I exercise (the same as when I was pregnant). Mostly dull pain (but some sharp pains here & there). I have ligament stretching pains (like when you are pregnant) upon standing (only on occasion though) - maybe this is unrelated or related to the fibroid ? Lower back pain started on or about May 29 (new since doc visit). Nausea started about the same time (she changed my BCP to a stronger dose-that probably explains the nausea).

Saw Gynecologist who recommended waiting 4 weeks for a follow-up ultrasound. (She misread the results & thought the cyst shrunk to 2.5 x 4.9 cm (I discovered this error AFTER my appt when I asked for a copy of the results)).

So my questions are... would she have taken a different approach had she read the results accurately? Or is it always a wait and see approach with a cyst? It is causing me pain (mostly dull) and I always have to urinate. I now have lower back pain. I think I am having so much trouble with this because it is always on my mind. I just want it gone and I want to stop thinking about it. Should I call her & ask that it be removed or grin & bear it until my appointment in 2 weeks. Also, I have been on the pill since February. Signs of the cyst didn't present until mid-april... would a simple cyst form in that time frame while on the pill?

Thanks for taking the time to put my mind at ease! ~Gina
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:31 am

User avatar Did she do a manual exam on you in February? If no sonogram, you may have already had a small cyst not palpable upon exam that continued to enlarge. Low dose birth control pills like what you were taking have been found largely ineffective at reducing cysts, hence the growth.

The approach is a wait and see, because cysts have a history of resolving themselves, and it is much safer than surgery obviously. YOu have only been on the higher dose pill for a week, give it at least the 2 more weeks to your appointment. Talk to your her If the cyst hasn't reduced about having the surgery given your distress. I have seen this happen may times, so there is hope.

You mentioned a fibroid. Fibroid tumors are in the uterus and cause pain and very heavy and abnormal bleeding. Do you have those, too?
 spensaid0003 - Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:39 am

Thank you so much for replying - this is an amazing forum and you are so kind to offer your time to answer questions!

She did do a manual exam in Feb (my annual visit) and found nothing (she didn't do a sonogram). So that could very well be the case that there was a small one and it is growing. I started the low dose pill and now am on a higher dose... I will probably have to switch because this one makes me nauseous. I will give it until my next appt to see what is happening. The pain is mostly dull so I can handle it until then :lol:

The fibroid was not discussed much (it is 2.7x2.3cm). She told me not to worry about this. Maybe this is the cause of the lower back pain? (back pain didn't start until after my appt). Bleeding was heavy before taking the pill... now it is a lot less.

I don't know why I am so stressed over this... but as the days pass I am chilling out more and more! I am much better at handling the care of my kids & husband than myself :) You have been a great help! Thank you!
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:45 am

User avatar You are more than welcome - I do hope it resolves itself and you don't have to have surgery. Take care.

Shannon

|