News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Hymen

JaneSmith - Tue Jun 21, 2005 6:12 am

I really need advise. I am recently married and unable to consumate my marriage as I believe my hymen is preventing this. Basically before I was married I had never had sex or used a tampon, I had tried but could not insert a tampon. I have now started to investigate the problem and I am able to insert two fingers into my vagina completely, but there is a vertical band of skin that is about 4mm thick which I believe is called a septate hymen. Basically I can feel that it must be obstructing sexual intercourse. There is an opening on either side of the peice of skin, a finger can be inserted in each opening. The penis cannot fully penetrate, maybe only the head of the penis can get it. I tried to use a tampon, I can now insert it, it goes in until it is not visible, but I cannot push it up completely as the instructions say you should. What can be done for this? Can the doctor break the hymen in his office or possibly incise the piece of skin in his office with a local aesthetic.
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:47 pm

User avatar If it is a septate hymen, yes, the doctor can surgically remove it, but it usually breaks with sexual intercourse. You say you can put two fingers all the way inside, and a tampon, too but you can't get it all the way in. If the hymen was preventing penetration, you wouldn't be able to do those things, so I am wondering if you may perhaps be suffering from vaginismus. That's a condition where your vaginal muscles involuntarily close the vagina and prevent penetration during sex. It is not intentional, it's usually due to anxiety about pain, and can be very common in virgins or women very new to sex.

The only way to tell for sure is to have your GYN examine you, and then you can discuss how to treat the problem whether surgery or something else.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here