Question: Blood Streaked Mucous After Intercourse

rybakgirl - Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:25 am

For the last few months after I have intercourse with my husband of 12 years I have mucous which is streaked with blood. Should I be concerned about this? Last year I had a poylp on my uterus which was removed but never tested for cancer or anything. I am 35 years old and generally have normal periods and no other symptoms of problems. Thank you for your time.

Kim
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:53 pm

I am unable to open your profile page to ascertain your full medical history.
Any bleeding from the vagina other than menstrual blood is considered abnormal and must be investigated to determine aetiology. Your condition is known as post-coital bleeding and may be due to a variety of causes:

Traumatic or exuberant sex – may cause occasional bleeding
Infections of the vagina, known as vaginitis
Infections of the cervix, referred to as cervicitis
Growths at the cervix, such as polyps which may bleed when they are jostled during the sexual act. You gave a history of a polyp, perhaps there is another.
Low-dose birth control pills
Anticoagulant or blood-thinning drugs
Abnormal cell changes in the cervix for which a Pap smear is diagnostic
Uterine growths and abnormalities

It is important to visit a gynaecologist to ascertain the cause. Do not douche before seeing the doctor, so that the source of the problem is not washed away.

Finally, you may want to rule out the possibility that your husband suffers from haematospermia, a condition in which the ejaculate is bloody.

Dr Anthony Solomon
Consultant Physician, Tropical & Genitourinary Medicine
 rybakgirl - Sat Jul 02, 2005 10:29 am

Thank you very much, I guess I knew it wasn't "normal" but I thought I would check. I am due for my pap this month, so I will discuss this further with my Doctor. You have been very helpful.

Kim
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Sat Jul 02, 2005 3:41 pm

It is our pleasure on this website to have been of some help to you.

As a recommendation, ask for the Liquid Based Cytology PapTest rather than the conventional method. The advantages are improved detection of abnormal cells and reduction in less than adequate smears. Additionally, the preserved cells can be used for detection of HPV, so request for HPV test as well.

Please keep us updated on any findings.

Dr Anthony Solomon

|