Question: Possibly pregnant?

SallyJ - Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:18 pm

My period was at a normal 31 day cycle, but at in recent months it's been appearing slightly askew. For example, I menstruated in June 34 days after I had my period in May. (I believe this may've been stress related.) Since then, I have yet to have my period. I'm worried that I may be pregnant because it still hasn't come and it usually is fairly normal. Additionally, my breasts usually get very sensitive around my menstruation time, and they are currently slightly swollen and sensitive (which I've read is a pregnancy symptom). I did take an at home pregnancy test, following the directions exactly, and the result was negative. I think the delay/ miss might just be change of routine/ stress/ recent decline in excercise, but I'm still worried about the possible pregancy. I'm not sure if this is involved or not, but I noticed that my left breast had a little blood on the nipple after showering-- but it appeared to just be dryness.

Could someone please help me out?
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:45 pm

User avatar You didn't say exactly when your missed period was due. How long overdue is it now? How many days late were you when you took the test?

Sore, swollen breasts frequently happen before periods and especially before late periods, as do many other "pregnancy" symptoms.

Are you breastfeeding? If not, do you have a chronic dryness condition on your nipples? If they are dry to the point of bleeding, do see a doctor about that.
 SallyJ - Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:37 am

Thanks for the reply. I am not breastfeeding, so I'll have my doctor check out my breast.

The first day of my last period was June 2, 2005. It has now been 37 days since my last period; I've now taken to pregnancy tests, one on the 35th day and one this morning, both with negative outcomes.
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:55 am

User avatar Provided you are not taking or have recently stopped any type of hormonal birth control, it is probably just late. Stopping hormonal birth control can cause irregular periods for months sometimes. Even if artificial hormones are not involved, It's not uncommon to be late occasionally; women are not always completely regular every month. It seems to most commonly coincide with increased stress and/or anxiety. Unfortunately, a missing or late period can increase the stress.

If it doesn't start in a week or so, call your GYN and ask her if she thinks she should see you. Meanwhile, try to relax. You're obviously not pregnant, so do not worry about that.

|