Question: not an std----what could it be?

2005forme - Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:15 pm

hi everyone. I began to have a problem last july, where my vagina broke out in sores--it really freaked me out because I thought I had an std. I went to the gyno. and she tested me for every std under the sun, everything came back neg. I was going to her before all this because I DO HAVE HPV. I have been through colposcopies and leeps---none at all pleasant. Anyway I didn't start having the break outs until after the 2 procedures. After the STD test all came back neg. she did another pelvic exam and found a very large lesion in my vaginal wall, it was also test and came back neg. but she treated me for a canchroid, which is like an std I guess. FYI my boyfriend never had any of the symptoms I was having and has since been tested for all STDs also and he was neg. My gyno did give him antibot. just like myself, to make sure if it was a canchroid he would be treated too. Well I have been completely fine since, it didn't hurt with sex--and no bleeding with sex until about a wk. ago. I got this HUGE canker sore in my mouth----first one I have ever had, then sex became painful again with light bleeding. And I thought I was getting a yeast infection so I treated it with cream. Well I woke up this morning, and I was having lots of pain in my genital area. I took a Look with a mirror and it was last yr all over again. I have about 2 almost flat lesion looking areas on the inside of my vagina and on very near my anus---they are very pain, but the itching is gone. I have also had alot of joint pain lately and I HAVE NOT excercising---is this a symptom of something i don't know about? I was in a bathing suit alot this past weekend too, could that be a reason? I nor my boyfriend--(fiance now) have been with anyone else. What is wrong with me? PLEASE HELP ME IF YOU CAN I AM REALLY STRESSING OVER THIS!!!!! THANKS
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:23 am

In the absence of any positive test for all STDs, you must undergo further investigations to exclude Behcet's Disease (BD). BD is an inflammatiory condition that classically presents with both oral and genital ulcers. Its cause is unknown, but it is considered an autoimmune disease which may be triggerred by infectious antigens. It is found in high incidence in Japan, the Mediterranean and the Middle East. Is your origin from any of these parts?

The diagnosis is usually made clinically by the presence of oral ulcers plus at least two of the following:

genital ulcers
arthritis
posterior uveitis
pustular vasculitis

From your post, you seem to qualify with oral ulcers, genital ulcers and arthritis but this does not necessarily mean you have the disease. Get to see a specialist in autoimmune diseases for an opinion.

Dr Anthony Solomon
Consultant Physician, Tropical & Genitourinary Medicine

|