News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Vaginal irritation/burning/no odor

Christian-beauty - Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:01 am

I am trying to figure out how or why this is happening to me.

First of all, I do not have sex so I am not sexually active.
I am not overweight
I do not have diabetes
I don't wear wet clothes
I bathe normally with body washes like Zest and this has never happened before
I wear cotton crotch underwear all the time
I don't have abdominal pain/cramping/vomiting
I don't use tampons

Okay, so being scared to go to the doctor because I have never been to a gynocologist before ever in my life, I kind of don't beleive in them, but maybe I am not sure. I am 22 years old. This has happened for a week and 3 days. Before my period it was there one day and then during I did not feel it, then now my period has been over for 3 days and it is still here.

So is there anything that I can try to alleviate the itch and burn? I am trying not to scratch, but that i hard to do. I am using Summer's Eve Medicated vaginal powder to help alleviate it temporarily. What else can I do?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:19 pm

User avatar Vulvovaginal itching generally is not a normal finding in healthy women.[1] Itching is usually most noticeable with a yeast infection, though it may occur with any type of infection or irritation. An irritated vaginal lining, which may be particularly itchy or painful during intercourse, is usually a more prominent symptom of atrophic vaginitis (such as occurs in postmenopausal women). Pain and itching when urinating may occur in trichomoniasis. Other dermatologic conditions (eg, lichen sclerosis and, rarely, vulvar cancer) should also be considered, especially in the absence of candidal infection.[2]

Usually a gynecologist will be able to tell by clinical examination and colposcopy what the problem is. If there is evidence of vaginal irritation this may be a manifestation of contact or allergic vaginitis. If on examination there is an a focal area of abnormal tisse a biopsy may be required.

References:
==========
1. Haefner HK. Current evaluation and management of vulvovaginitis. Clin Obstet Gynecol 1999;42:184-95.
2. Reilly BM. Practical strategies in outpatient medicine. 2d ed. Philadelphia: Saunders, 1991:1016-46.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here