Question: Abnormal Pap Smear

Bellaray - Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:43 am

I have received an abnormal pap smear within the last week & I am very nervous. I guess I am searching for an explaination. So, I took a pregnancy test last night and it was negative, but when I looked in the trash this morning it was positive. My question is this: Is it possible to receive an abnormal pap smear because you are pregnant? Would very early stages of pregnancy cause an abnormal pap smear? I was told that Dr.'s do not use the number rate any longer, but my pap would have been a 2 on a 1-5 scale; 5 being the worst.
Thank you for any information you could provide me with.

I had an abnormal pap smear 8 years ago, but that was the first one after give birth to my son. I haven't had one since.
 Jackie E. Pool, LPN - Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:31 pm

User avatar Bellaray, It is normal to be nervous after any test that is questionable. You should schedule a follow up appointment for a second Pap Smear to ensure accurate results. There are a number of things that can cause abnormal paps, including infections. Smoking can also cause an abnormal Pap. Make sure you do not douche, use any Vaginal creams, powders or sprays for two days prior to your test.

Good Luck
 Bellaray - Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:24 am

I had a follow up where the dr did a biopsy and said that it looked like a wart on my cervix, which he then used the word dysplasia. Does that mean cancer? He said that the next step will be surgery (outpatient, I believe) but he has to wait to get the results to see how extensive the surgery will be. I had an abnormal pap 8 years ago and they froze the cells afterwards. My dr said he would rather not do that again, but try something else? What other procedures is he talking about? And since he said wart, where did that come from and what does that mean?

Thank you
 Jackie E. Pool, LPN - Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:47 am

User avatar Dysplasia is the abnormal growth of tissue organs or cells. Genital warts are usually caused by a virus that is transmitted through sexual contact. i would have no idea what surgery your doctor may recommend for you. It would depend on your individual results.

I am afraid you must wait and see what he suggests.
 elhazzja - Sat Sep 10, 2005 5:57 pm

About 4 years ago I had an abonormal pap smear too and had cervical dysplasia. I simply went into the doctors office for my procedure to get the problem addressed. All the doctor did, in my case anyway, is freeze the warts off. It didn't hurt at all, it just caused some slight cramping. The doctor told me that normally you only have a %10 chance of the problem reoccurring, unless of course you get re-infected. I went back for a follow up after 6 months and everything was fine and I have not had an abnormal pap smear since then.
Men can simply carry this virus and never have any syptoms of gential warts so you should always use protection. I even read though that sometimes condoms don't protect you from gential warts because they can occur on a man's testicles and also around the anus so it is a good idea for your partner to get tested/checked for gential warts. It doesn't always cause a problem for men, especially if they only carry the virus, but if left untreated for years it can eventually lead to cancer so you should have a pap smear yearly, especially now.
Also, don't be ashamed about this issue, it is much more common than people know about because a lot of people, men and women, carry the virus and never even know, but they can still pass on the virus to others because it can lie dormant in the skin.
Hope this helps a little.

|