Question: Low back/leg pain

khakiann - Thu Jan 30, 2003 5:05 pm

This is my first visit to this site. I'm not quite sure how much info is needed but I'll try to describe my problem as best as I can.

A few months ago I started noting that my lower back would "pop" from time to time when I moved. (Don't know if this is related to the real problem, though.) For the past couple of months I've noted that around the time of menses my low back would ache. I tried massage but it only seemed to irritate the pain rather than soothe it. The pain has progressed to the point that it has become every day this past week or 2. THe pain goes from about the middle low back, across the right buttock, down to my knee (backside) and down to my ankle. It hurts constantly now but before it was hurting worst in the mornings when I first got out of bed. After I moved around a bit and took some ibuprofen it would improve. Lately it isn't improving. It hurts to sit and today it's hurting to drive my car. I've been sitting on a heating pad for the past week with some improvement. But the pain returns after a while. Ibuprofen does little to help.

Can you give me any ideas as to what it might be?
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sun Feb 16, 2003 12:10 pm

User avatar Dear khakiann, you have to consult an orthopedic and to start with doing an x-ray on the lumbosacral part of the vertebra. MRI to the same area is recommended since this might be disc prolapse with nerve root compression. This might have occurd following carrying heavy weight. Same symptoms occurs with osteoarthrosis , changes that take place in old age however they sometimes start early in some people.
good luck

|