News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Continuous Brown Discharge

sugarpie - Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:27 am

Hello,
I posted last week asking about this a few days after my period. I didn't assume it would last much longer than a week. But it's been going on for a month now and not every day is the same. Some days it's better, some it's worse. Any tips of what this might be? Some days is a very light brown, some its dark, and some it's more of a brownish/pink discharge. Someone said possible clots before, and It's just cleaning its self out... but for a month?? I was supposed to get my period here a few days ago, and haven't got it yet. Any ideas?!

Thank you!!
 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:51 am

User avatar Hi sugarpie,
If your menstrual cycles are normally regular I would suggest that you start first with a pregnancy test to rule this out. Typically speaking, brownish discharge may be attributed to old blood from the uterus not completely shedding all of it's contents during the previous cycle. Other possibilities are trauma during intercourse, ovulation, or implantation. Again perform a pregnancy test and if it rules pregnancy out as the causative factor and the discharge continues, notify your physician for an evaluation.
Sincerely,
Rntdj
 sugarpie - Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:19 pm

Thank you!

I was reading through the pregnancy symptoms, and i've had a few. Grant it, alot of them can be just common things, but I will definately take a test. My bc pills have been off track a little this month also.. so that doesn't help either. We shall see how this goes. Thank you again...
 sugarpie - Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:11 pm

Well I just took a pregnancy test, and it shows "not pregnant"... now my next steps to figure this thing out. Is continuous discharge for a month, normal? I did have an abnormal pap about 3 months or so ago.. back in May. I had a colposcopy and was told to come back again in 3 months. Cervical Cancer is in my family. Is this something I should be really worried about? Will it go away on its own? Or is there something I could buy in the store to fix this?
 girleegrl - Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:18 pm

Hi! I started my period the 15th of Aug. My husband and I had unprotected sex the day after (the 22nd?) a few days later I had mild cramps with light pink discharge and some breast tenderness. The discharge then turned a light brown color and is now brown. This has been going on for the past week and a half, period is normally 32 day cycles. I'm supposed to start the 14th of Sept. Could stress cause something like this? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here