Question: Off BCP, and still not Pregnant..

DesperatetoConceive21 - Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:26 pm

I posted this in the obstetrics forum, but maybe someone else here can answer me. My husband and I are desperate to finally get pregnant...

My husband and I decided to begin trying to conceive in March. I got off of BCP (ORTHO NOVUM 777) in March 05,I had been of birth control for about 5 1/2 years with the exception of a 2-4 months. I know that it usually takes about 3 months for ovulation to regulate, however I have yet to get pregnant. I am concerned that my husbands sperm may not be as "potent" as they should be. He smoked marijuana daily while he was in high school/Junior High. He hasnt smoked in about 3 yrs. Could this still be a problem? I also occasionally have hot flashes, which is concerning. My paps and iternals have always been normal. Please is there anything I can do, my husband and I desperatly want a child.
Thanks,
DTC21 :wink:
 Shana Johnson, CNA - Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:23 am

User avatar It has only been a few months, it may take some time to get your cycles regular before you are able to concieve. How old are you?
your husbands majuana use may have caused his sperm to be less potent, or lowered to sperm count, but I would not be concerned about that yet, until you have tried for a few more months, because you need to give your body some time
Get to know your body, and when you ovulate.After you have charted your ovulation for a few months, and know when it is going to occur, you can begin timing when you have sex to best increase your chances of becommign pregnant.
Sperm can live for two to three days, but the egg is around for only 12 to 24 hours. To increase the likelihood of conception, schedule intercourse for one to two days before ovulation. That way, there's more likely to be a healthy supply of sperm waiting in the Fallopian tube when an egg is released.
Start taking folic acid daily, eat healthy, and relax! Stress can cause a major factor in trying to concieve. Have you ever heard of a couple who tried for years to become pregnant, only after giving up and deciding to adopt a child did they finally become pregnant, because they were no longer worried about trying to concieve.
 DesperatetoConceive21 - Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:58 am

I am 21, I have tried to track my cervical mucas, but it doesnt get that stretchy consistancy that it is supposed to, it gets thick, but its creamy usually, not stretchy
 Shana Johnson, CNA - Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:22 am

User avatar You may want to try charting you basal body temperature. http://www.justmommies.com/articles/bbt-charting.shtml
That is a good site that will explain how to do it, and has a downloadable chat you can use.
You also can buy an ovulation predictor kit at the drug store, they aren't to expensive.
If you are 21, I wouldn't worry about occational hot flashes. I think you just need to give it a little more time and see what happens.
 DesperatetoConceive21 - Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:20 am

Thank you for your help, my doctor just told me to have sex every other day, so getting some kind of advice is helpful...
Thanks again!
DTC21 :wink:

|