Question: isoxsuprine and allyloestrenol use in pregnancy

Rnk - Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:07 am

Hi! I am a 31-year-old woman presently 13 wks pregnant. This is my first pregnancy. I underwent one year of fertility treatment due to unexplained infertility and then underwent a diagnostic laparoscopy that revealed bilateral hydrosalpinx, but two months after the surgery I conceived naturally (without any fertility meds). Now, my OB/GYN has prescribed isoxsuprine and allyloestrenol. I have searched the net for info on these drugs and was shocked to read that they are no longer in use in the Western world (I live in India). I sought three opinions here in India and all three physicians said they have been prescribing these drugs for many years and have seen no fetal abnormalities.

I am very confused whether to use these drugs or not. If anyone could give me advice, I would really appreciate it.
 DeLWolcott - Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:53 am

From MedlinePlus:

Pregnancy—Isoxsuprine has not been shown to cause birth defects in humans. However, isoxsuprine given shortly before delivery may cause fast heartbeat and other problems (low blood sugar, bowel problems, low blood pressure) in the newborn.

From my interpretation of literature available to me:
Allyloestrenol also has not been shown to cause birth defects in humans. It is/was used to prevent abortion or premature labor, but proof of efficacy was lacking.

Summary:
Vasodilan (isoxsuprine) is still used in the US and Canada. Allyloestrenol is not used, but only because they have no proof that it actually works. Neither one has been shown to be harmful during pregnancy.

:) I hope this information eases your mind a bit. Speak with your doctor again about your concerns and feel free to even ask him to show you the information he has on the medications to ease your mind. Congratulations and good luck!

|