News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Progestrone pill and birth control?

smiley0329 - Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:24 am

My friend game me this 5mg progestrone acetate pill so that I could start my period and I was wondering if it would take the effectiveness of my birth control away.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:28 pm

User avatar Hello,

Provera 2.5mg, 5mg and 10mg tablets contain the active ingredient medroxyprogesterone acetate a progestin. If your periods are irregular or have stopped completely and your doctor can find no obvious cause, it may be that something has upset your natural hormone levels. It should not be taken without your doctor's knowledge. Medroxyprogesterone can help to restore your natural hormone levels, because it mimics the effects of your natural progesterone.

Normally the level of progesterone in your blood increases about a week before your period. If medroxyprogesterone is taken for 5 to 10 days each month at this time (ie day 16 to 21 of your cycle) it mimics the natural rise in your progesterone levels. To treat irregular periods this medicine is taken in this way for two menstrual cycles. To treat periods that have stopped it is taken for three menstrual cycles. At the end of the treatment regular periods should return.

Please refer to your doctor in the future especially if you are already taking birth control.

Best regards.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here