Question: Progestrone pill and birth control?

smiley0329 - Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:24 am

My friend game me this 5mg progestrone acetate pill so that I could start my period and I was wondering if it would take the effectiveness of my birth control away.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:28 pm

Provera 2.5mg, 5mg and 10mg tablets contain the active ingredient medroxyprogesterone acetate a progestin. If your periods are irregular or have stopped completely and your doctor can find no obvious cause, it may be that something has upset your natural hormone levels. It should not be taken without your doctor's knowledge. Medroxyprogesterone can help to restore your natural hormone levels, because it mimics the effects of your natural progesterone.

Normally the level of progesterone in your blood increases about a week before your period. If medroxyprogesterone is taken for 5 to 10 days each month at this time (ie day 16 to 21 of your cycle) it mimics the natural rise in your progesterone levels. To treat irregular periods this medicine is taken in this way for two menstrual cycles. To treat periods that have stopped it is taken for three menstrual cycles. At the end of the treatment regular periods should return.

Please refer to your doctor in the future especially if you are already taking birth control.

|