News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Pregnancy & X-rays taken

mickapoo - Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:21 am

I have been suffering from back pain and nausea for 4 months. A pregnancy test was done in May & July, and was negative. They were thinking it was my kidneys, and after having ultrasounds and CT scans, they wanted me to have an IVP, a chest x-ray, and 3 spinal x-rays.

I went for these x-rays just a little while ago. They asked me if I might be pregnant, and I told them there was a chance. The radiologist didn't want to perform the x-rays until I had a negative pregnancy test to show them so I then proceeded to have a pregnancy test (not a blood test, but from a urine sample) from the office next door. I returned with the negative results and they proceeded to do the x-rays.

A week after that, I missed my period. I took a pregnancy test, and it was positive. Turns out I was indeed pregnant when the x-rays were taken but had only been about 9 days post-conception so the urine test was not sensitive enough to catch it.

I am very concerned- my radiologist said because of the number of x-rays I was having, and all mostly to my abdomen, it would be extremely dangerous to a fetus if indeed I was pregnant. Now I found out that I am- and am so worried. Is this something I should be concerned over? Could damage have been done this early in the pregnancy (again, I was 9 days post-conception when the x-rays were taken)? Can any testing be done to see if damage has been done to the fetus?

Thank you.
 Angela Grunewald, RN - Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:26 am

User avatar There has been research to show a VERY slight chance of cancer in unborn babies with radiation involved. There is no evidence to show that the unborn baby will have an increased risk for deformities as compared to those who recieved no radiation at all. This is something you can do.... find out how many "rads" you recieved during your xrays. an unborn baby should not recieve more than 5 rads. not to say that anything would be wrong if you recieved more than that. Talk to your OB GYN about your concerns, my guess is he/she will treat this pregancy the same way any other would be treated. Good luck and God bless........congratulations!!!!!!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here