Question: Pregnancy & X-rays taken

mickapoo - Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:21 am

I have been suffering from back pain and nausea for 4 months. A pregnancy test was done in May & July, and was negative. They were thinking it was my kidneys, and after having ultrasounds and CT scans, they wanted me to have an IVP, a chest x-ray, and 3 spinal x-rays.

I went for these x-rays just a little while ago. They asked me if I might be pregnant, and I told them there was a chance. The radiologist didn't want to perform the x-rays until I had a negative pregnancy test to show them so I then proceeded to have a pregnancy test (not a blood test, but from a urine sample) from the office next door. I returned with the negative results and they proceeded to do the x-rays.

A week after that, I missed my period. I took a pregnancy test, and it was positive. Turns out I was indeed pregnant when the x-rays were taken but had only been about 9 days post-conception so the urine test was not sensitive enough to catch it.

I am very concerned- my radiologist said because of the number of x-rays I was having, and all mostly to my abdomen, it would be extremely dangerous to a fetus if indeed I was pregnant. Now I found out that I am- and am so worried. Is this something I should be concerned over? Could damage have been done this early in the pregnancy (again, I was 9 days post-conception when the x-rays were taken)? Can any testing be done to see if damage has been done to the fetus?

Thank you.
 Angela Grunewald, RN - Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:26 am

User avatar There has been research to show a VERY slight chance of cancer in unborn babies with radiation involved. There is no evidence to show that the unborn baby will have an increased risk for deformities as compared to those who recieved no radiation at all. This is something you can do.... find out how many "rads" you recieved during your xrays. an unborn baby should not recieve more than 5 rads. not to say that anything would be wrong if you recieved more than that. Talk to your OB GYN about your concerns, my guess is he/she will treat this pregancy the same way any other would be treated. Good luck and God bless........congratulations!!!!!!

|