News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Lacking of my cycle

esuna87 - Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:24 pm

I haven't had my menstrual cycle since April or May. I am Scared. I took two take home pregnancy tests and i went to the doctors and got a pregnancy test there too. All three were negative. So if im not pregnant what is wrong with me? Am I going to be able to have kids? Am I going to get my cycle back? I never thought i would say this but I want it back.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sun Jan 01, 2006 1:57 pm

User avatar Hello,
I hope your cycles have come back to normal. Allow me to go through a few causes for your complaint.

First, secondary amenorrhea is defined as absence of menstruation for three normal menstrual cycles or 6 months in a woman with previously regular menstruation.[1]

The causes of absence of menstruation for less than 3 cycles / less than 6 months are similar to the causes of amenorrhea (with the exception of anatomic or chromosomal etiologies), but the hypothalamic, pituitary, or ovarian hormonal dysfunction is less severe or of shorter duration than with amenorrhea.[1]

Causes include pregnancy, ectopic pregnancy (especially if you have had a tubal ligation), use of hormonal birth control methods (such as birth control pills or hormonal injections or implants), recently stopping birth control pills or breast-feeding. Other causes such as rapid weight loss, obesity, excessive exercise or participation in endurance sports, menopause, severe stress or lifestyle change, use of certain medications and hormone imbalance. Other, more serious causes of missed periods include tumors, pituitary disorders, and other glandular problems involving the ovaries, thyroid, or adrenal glands. These problems are rare.

Usually if the period is late and the woman is not pregnant, the cause is hormonal--she is not ovulating regularly for some reason. Weight changes and stress levels can disrupt the menstrual cycle; so can being peri-menopausal, taking some medications, and engaging in heavy exercise.

After excluding pregnancy, the usual recommendation is if you miss more than three cycles or have any symptoms that are worrying you, you should see your doctor to check for the cause of the problem. Usually it does not turn out to be serious and may resolve on its own before you even get in for the appointment.

References:
==========
1. Jonathan S. Berek: Novak's Gynecology, 13th ed. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2002.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here