Question: worried if pregnent

westcoasta - Mon Feb 02, 2004 3:39 pm

hay my last menstro was on dec 11 no trace of it has come and all test say negativeeven blood test could i be prego and its not showing or whatcould someone help me with this cause its stressing me out
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Mon Feb 02, 2004 5:51 pm

User avatar Dear westcoasta,

Besides being pregnant, secondary amenorrhea (menstruation stopping) can also be caused by other causes.

In some women, menopause (the age where the women starts not to have menses ever again) can sometimes be as early as 35 years especially if it runs in the family.

So, if menopause comes early in your family, then may be this is early menopause. You will have some irregular menses at the begining and then menses are going to stop.

There is a blood test that can be done to verify this. It is called FSH.

i suggest yo consult with your doctor to be checked and examined and have a pelvic exam (to see whether you are pregnant or not) and do the blood tests (both the pregnancy and the FSH) if he/she thinks that this a reasonable thing to do.

westcoasta - Mon Feb 02, 2004 9:26 pm

i go to doctor on 10thand ill ask about all that because i am 36 but i just had a miscarragein oct so i don't think thay is it that fast could it be
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Mon Feb 02, 2004 9:45 pm

User avatar Dear westcoasta,

Thank you very much for the update.

When you had the miscarriage, did you have dilatation and curettage (d&c) or not? How soon after that you had your period, how heavy was it? and how many times have you had your period since?

After a miscarriage if you had a d&c, sometimes they over curette the uterus and it takes a while for the lining of the uterus to come back, sometimes if it was really overdone, the uterus collapses on itself and fibrous tissue is formed and menses never occur.

It is unlikely that you have early menopause with this history of just being pregnant but still a remote possibility.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and waiting for your response.

westcoasta - Tue Feb 03, 2004 1:55 pm

ok i had the miscarrage in oct had menstro in dec witch came very heavythe two days then it spotted for about three more days i didnt have a d&c she said that it would just pass and i was alright so when jan came no menstro showed up now here it is feb and no menstro still i like to thatnk you cause this keeps me thinking straight until i get to the doctor on the 10th to see what is going on for real also i have to say that i bleed alot during my miscarage for about two weeks
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Wed Feb 04, 2004 6:52 pm

User avatar Dear Westcoasta,

Thank you very much for the update.

There is nothing else that i can think of at this point. You have to be seen and examined by your doctor and need to have a blood test to make sure that you are not pregnant and to make sure that you don't have early menopause (although highly unlikely).

|