News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Missed period on the Pill

rose23986 - Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:32 pm

I have been on the pill for 6 years now. Recently I went on Seasonale and then switched off a little over 3 months ago due to bad side effects. Since then, I have only gotten my period for one day (and lightly) each month. This month, I did not get it at all. I do not think that I could be pregnant because I took a pregnancy test both months that I only got my period for a day and they were both negative. I have no other symptoms of pregnancy either. Also, I had a pap smear and my anual check up in late August and everything was normal. Where should I go from here? Could this just be a normal reaction to switching back to my usual pill? Should I be worried about something else? What kind of tests should I ask for?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:43 pm

User avatar Hello,
I hope you are feeling better by now.

Seasonale (estradiol and levonorgestrel "extended-cycle oral contraceptive") is a 91-day oral contraceptive regimen. Tablets containing progestin and estrogen are taken for 12 weeks (84 days), followed by one week of placebo tablets. Therefore, the number of expected menstrual periods are reduced from once a month to about once every three months.

Your cycles can be disturbed right after you stop it. I think they should be back to normal by now. If not please see your doctor for an evaluation.

Best regards.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here