News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: late period, negative pregnancy test

stella ann - Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:07 pm

Hello, sorry, this may be old news, but not for me. I am 8-9 days late for my period. I have taken two pregnancy tests at home, both negative. I don't have any real reason to believe i am pregnant. Also a few months ago I had pain during sex for a week or so, and again one other time since then. I am making arrangements to see a doctor, but am hoping someone could maybe ease my mind a bit, or give me some ideas on what could be happening to me. Any ideas? thanks
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:27 am

User avatar Hello,
The highest possible screening sensitivity for an hCG-based pregnancy test conducted on the first day of a missed period is 90 percent, as 10 percent of women may not have implanted yet.[1] It was estimated that the highest possible screening sensitivity of a home pregnancy test by one week after the first day of the missed period is 97 percent.

References:
===========
1. Allen J. Wilcox; Donna Day Baird; David Dunson; Ruth McChesney; Clarice R. Weinberg. Natural Limits of Pregnancy Testing in Relation to the Expected Menstrual Period. JAMA. 2001;286:1759-1761.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here