Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: Plasma

Jenniec - Sun Feb 29, 2004 10:39 pm

Tonight I was with one of my friends and I learned that she doesn’t have very much food or any money to get some. So she is rationing out her food until she can get some more money on Thursday. She goes and sells her plasma for $20 twice a week and then she is able to pay for rent and use what is left for food. She has to do it every week or else she doesn’t have enough money for rent ( or the food) My question is, is that safe to do so much?
Thank you
Jennfier
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Mon Mar 01, 2004 3:52 am

User avatar Generally, the body of a healthy donor can quickly replace the plasma that is removed during donation. Because of this, you can donate plasma up to twice a week. Current FDA guidelines state that the maximum frequency of donation is once in 2 days, and no more than 2 times in a 7 day period.

|