News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: Can a blood transfusion be Fatal? She is O+.. She got A+

daughter - Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:45 pm

My mother had a quadruple bypass surgery one jan.18,2005, she passed away Jan.22,2005. She had been given A positvie blood three seperate times. SHe is O positive blood type. Can this be fatal? I have complete medical/surgical records from the time she walked in the hospital to the minute she passed away, there are so many things that don't make since in them. They report "shadows" in the cavity or her Gallbladder, which was removed some 15-18 years ago. I am so confused. If someone can help me i would REALLY apprieciate it. I am in need of A doctor's advice. Or someone. I have read up about the blood thing. As far as i can see it was a bad thing she was given the wrong blood type.. WHAT SHOULD I DO?????!!!!!
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:27 am

User avatar Hi daughter,
First, I would like to extend my sympathies for the loss of your mother. You are correct in your understanding that people with type O+ blood should never receive type A+ blood. Transfusion reactions can be fatal but this would be next to impossible for me to state that this was or was not the cause of her death. My suggestion to you is call the facility administrator and request a peer review of the physician and staff that was providing your mothers care. Also request an unbiased review of the medical records (information contained in the records should be explained at the very least). Although, no matter what you are told, it will not bring her back but it may provide you with some understanding of what may have happened and give you some peace. You then can make your decisions based on the information received.
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here