News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: Increased blood monocytes and platelets

SassyBratt24 - Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:35 am

Hi i had a CBC test done and got the paper with the results and would like some help in helping me read it.

its a little confusing to me on the paper i have it has on the top it has
test name result attention reference range units

here are my results

Hemoglobin 151
hematocrit 0.449
wbc count 6.2
rbc count 4.65
mcv 96.4
mch result under attention 32.4
mchc 336
Rdw result under attention 14.7
platelet count result under attention 407 HI

absolute neutros 3.6
(A) lymph 1.2
(A) mono result under attention 1.0 HI
(A) eos 0.4
(A) baso 0.0
RBC morphology normal
Platelets SL increased

i hope someone can help me and tell me what it means
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:24 am

User avatar Hello,

According to the results you have posted you have two elevated parameters: The monocytic count and the platelet count.

Monocytes circulate in the blood and then enter the tissue and terminally differentiate into tissue macrophages, which are important antigen-presenting cells.

Normal monocyte count ranges from about 4-10% of white blood cells (WBCs).

Monocytosis (increased monocytes) may occur in infectious protozoal diseases (malaria, kala-azar, trypanosomiasis), rickettsial (Rocky Mountain spotted fever, typhus), bacterial infections (subacute bacterial endocarditis, tuberculosis, brucellosis, syphilis).

It may also arise in inflammatory/immune ulcerative colitis, regional enteritis, systemic lupus erythematosus, sarcoidosis.

Congenital Gaucher disease can lead to monocytosis.

Neoplastic monocytic leukemia, myeloid metaplasia, recovery from agranulocytosis can all lead to increased level of monocytes.

Platelets are primarily responsible for initial hemostasis by aggregation at the sites of endothelial damage. The platelet plug is then stabilized by fibrin deposition from activated coagulation. Normal platelet count ranges from 130,000-400,000/mm3.

Increased platelet count (thrombocytosis or thrombocythemia). Platelets respond like an acute-phase reactant to tissue injury and many acute infections. Hence, thrombocytosis can result from acute infections; inflammatory/immune diseases (rheumatoid arthritis); mechanical causes/trauma (burns, postsplenectomy); metabolic/toxic causes (exercise, cirrhosis, iron deficiency).

On the other hand, it can also be caused by neoplastic and myeloproliferative diseases (polycythemia vera, essential thrombocythemia, myelocytic leukemia) or vascular hemorrhage.

If the causes above are excluded and your condition persists, your doctor may request a bone marrow biopsy to exclude bone marrow disorders.

Best regards.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here