News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: Hereditory spherocytosis and pregnancy

robby - Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:27 am

hi,
i am a young lady planning for a child. my doctor told me that i am having hypogonadotropic hypogonadism and for that he wants to give me some gonadotrphin injections.
however, few years ago it was diagnosed that i had hereditory spherocytosis and doctors removed my spleen.

i would appreciate to know whether it is safe for me( and the child) to have my own child or should i go for an egg donation program?

please help!
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:14 pm

User avatar Dear robby,

Hereditary spherocytosis (HS) is a familial hemolytic disorder.

The clinical picture may range from asymptomatic cases to severe hemolytic anemia.

The characteristic morphology of RBCs in HS is the microspherocytic form, this is due to loss of the cell membrane integrity resulting in increased osmotic fragility.
The defect in the blood cell membrane is due to genetic abnormality that lead to abnormal membrane protein structure.

Splenomegally and splenic sequestration of RBCs result in destruction of these abnormal RBCs and hemolytic anemia. Thus,
Splenectomy is curative for most of cases.

Maternal and fetal complications during pregnancy are not frequent.
Women with spherocytosis who are welling to get pregnant should be on follow up with their hematologist during their pregnancy period. They also should inform their obstetrician about their condition and to follow up regularly with US. Fetal skeletal abnormalities are not frequent.

I hope these informations are helpful.

Best regards,

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here