News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: Low Platelet Count for 8 years

handaeyoung - Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:36 pm

Hello, I have had a consistently low platelet count on my CBC for the past 8 years, my doctors do not know what to do about it and it has been declining. I started with 100 and it is now averaging around 70 and has dropped as low as 53. Normal limits being above 150 to 400+, I am a bit concerned that not only are my physicians stumped, they aren't doing anything to resolve it either.

What could cause this and what tests would need to be done to document it?

Thank you for your time.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:45 am

User avatar Hello,

The presence of persistant thrombocytopenia in the range you have described will require a bone marrow biopsy to reach a diagnosis.

Generally speaking thrombocytopenia can be due to defective production in the bone marrow or due to rapid destruction (usually by immune destruction).

Diagnosis of a platelet production defect is readily established by examination of a bone marrow aspirate and biopsy.

The finding of a reduction in the total cellularity of the marrow, along with a decrease in megakaryocytes, implies aplastic or hypoplastic anemia. This may result from drug toxicity.

A marrow that is fibrosed or infiltrated with leukemic or other malignant cells represents the syndrome of pancytopenia from infiltrated marrow.

After excluding diseases of the bone marrow the clinician should exclude the possibility of hypersplenism.

Certain non-immunologic causes of rapid platelet destruction include disseminated intavascular coagulation, preeclampsia, vasculitis, thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura, hemolytic-uremic syndrome among other things.

Finally immunological destruction of platelets as occurs in conditions such as Idiopathic thrombocytopenia purpura (ITP) should be excluded.

Best regards.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here