News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: don't understand blood results

gatorfrog - Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:54 pm

Hello,
I had a complete blood workup and I have some questions. My hematocrit and hemoglobin was low and I understand that, but my RDW was high 18.7 and I did not get any answers on that and should I be concerned? Thank you for any help you can give!
 gstep - Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:57 pm

The first thing to remember is, even though certain blood values may be out of range (too high or low), doesn't mean there is something wrong. There are so many factors that can affect or change values. The reason you may not have got answers on your RDW level may be because the doctor was not concerned about it. Don't hesitate to call your doctor if after leaving the office and realizing you have questions. They expect that and that's what they are there for. A high RDW level could indicate Anemia, but there are several different types of Anemia, so talk to your doctor. You may be worrying for nothing.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here