News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: Elevated wbc and platelets

guest51 - Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:00 am

My cbc with diff results are:

WBC - 14.8 (normal range 4.1 - 11.30)
Absolute Neutrophils - 10339 (normal range 1500-7800)
Platelet Count - 466 (normal range 150-400)
RBC - 553 (normal range 3.90-5.10)

These labs have been stable for about the last year and I've been seeing a hematologist who suggests I get labs every 3 months.
I had a ruptured eardrum a couple of years ago that has some fluid build up but the ENT says this could not cause my labs to be this elevated.
Can anyone tell me what they think these elevations in labs could mean? My hematologist says if they get any higher than he would like to do a bone marrow biopsy.
Thanks so much in advance.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:22 am

User avatar Hello,

An elevated white blood cell count typically reflects the normal response of bone marrow to an infectious or inflammatory process (tissue necrosis, infarction, burns, arthritis).

Stress such as overexertion, seizures, anxiety, anesthesia can also lead to leukocytosis.

Drugs that cause leukocytosis include (corticosteroids, lithium, beta agonists).

Trauma such as splenectomy; hemolytic anemia; leukemoid malignancy can all lead to elevated leukocytic counts.

Occasionally, leukocytosis is the sign of a primary bone marrow abnormality in white blood cell production, maturation or death (apoptosis) related to a leukemia or myeloproliferative disorder (acute leukemias, chronic leukemias, myeloproliferative disorders).

An increase in neutrophils is the most common cause of an elevated white blood cell count, but other subpopulations of cells (eosinophils, basophils, lymphocytes and monocytes) can also give rise to increased leukocyte numbers.

The fact that your counts have remained stable for a whole year is a good sign. However, at one stage it would probably be better to get a bone marrow biopsy done.

Best regards.
 guest51 - Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:35 am

Thank you Dr. Fouad for responding to my question.
My doctor suspects I have a myeloproliferative disorder but do you think my ruptured eardrum could cause an elevated wbc and platelet count? I'd hate to go through a biopsy only to find out it was related to my ear.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:57 am

User avatar Hello,

No I do not think that the ear infection could lead to a chronic rise in your leukocytic count for this long. Whenever a myeloproliferative disease is suspected a bone marrow biopsy is wise.

Keep us updated.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here