News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: Leucocyte and Eosinophilia noted

swloong - Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:43 am

Hi, I just had my complete blood count results, and the results is as below:
RBC 4.8 x 10^12/l
Hb 15.3 x g/dl
HCT 45%
mcv 94fl
mch 32pg
WBC 12.4 x 10^9/l
Neutrophils 65%
Lymphoocytes 16%
Monocytes 5%
Eosinophils 14%
platelets 169 x 10^9/l

Doctor sent for another complete blood picture test and have the result back specifying Normocytic normochromic RBCs. Normal leucocyte morphology. Eosinophilia noted. Platelets are normal in morphology and adequate in the film.
I am hell of worry about my elevated WBCs and Eosinophils. Anyone here could help me analysing my result. I have no allergy and dermatosis as well. Is it any possibility or sign that I will have leukemia ? Thank you for replying.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:28 am

User avatar Hello,

Eosinophils are important in the defense against multicellular parasite infections.

Eosinophilia may be primary or secondary to an underlying disorder. Allergic or atopic diseases are the most common causes, with respiratory and skin diseases most prominent. Eosinophilic drug reactions which are usually asymptomatic, may be associated with interstitial nephritis, serum sickness, cholestatic jaundice, hypersensitivity vasculitis, and immunoblastic lymphadenopathy.

Almost any parasitic infection can elicit eosinophilia, but not protozoa and noninvasive metazoa.

Nonparasitic infections also may be accompanied by eosinophilia. Hodgkin's disease may cause marked eosinophilia, whereas non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, acute lymphoblastic leukemia and chronic myelogenous leukemia are less often accompanied by eosinophilia. Ovarian cancer is the leading solid tumor associated with eosinophilia. Connective tissue disorders with increased circulating immune complexes and vasculitis are often associated with eosinophilia.

I would suggest you do another CBC to check if your esinophilia has resolved or not. Please follow up with your doctor.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here