News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: Pain located in sternum

crisp - Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:38 pm

On-off on occasion, I have experienced a very distinct and sharp pain when excercising, particularly yoga during forward bend where my chest is compromised. It feels crushing and I have to immediately stand up.
The next day I feel bruised in that area, I can feel a small almost walnut size lump, slightly painful and hard (could easily be lymph).
Am slightly concerned as I was diagnosed with borderline obstetric cholestasis whilst pregnant 3 yrs ago, and during labour experienced an excruciating pain in the same location, even under the maximum epidural dose, most definitely not a labour contraction (it felt like baby had a big toe jammed in my ribs or something).
I have often wondered about my liver/pancreas since I have had great difficulty losing the huge excess weight i gained during pregnancy, feel very tired often, irritable, depressed and often iratic. Noothing showed abnormal on routine bloods.

any suggestions??
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:30 am

User avatar Hello,

Crushing pain in the sternal area that is induced by exercise and relieved by rest in an obese woman should be investigated. Although your symptoms is not inline with the classic picture of angina, an evaluation by a cardiologist is still warranted given you are at risk of heart disease because of your weight.

Please discuss this with your doctor.

Best regards.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here