News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: Immunofixation

JKF - Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:02 pm

I have to have an immunofixation blood test every year because I have some monoclonal protein in my blood. Can you explain the significance of this and the possible danger it presents. Thank you. JKF
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:32 pm

User avatar Hello JFK,

Plasma cells are terminally differentiated, fully mature B lymphocytes. Because plasma cells secrete immunoglobulin, clonal proliferations of plasma cells usually result in the excessive production of a single immunoglobulin type or often only a single light or heavy chain. Immunoglobulins (Ig) are made up of 2 components: light chains and heavy chains and further classified by the type of light (kappa or lambda) or heavy (alpha [IgA], gamma [IgG], mu [IgM], delta [IgD], and epsilon [IgE]) chains.

These monoclonal paraproteins are detectable by serum electrophoresis or immunofixation as single sharp bands or peaks standing out from the background of reactive immunoglobulins.

Clonal plasma cell proliferations form a clinical spectrum encompassing indolent and aggressive forms of disease. These include multiple myeloma, macroglobulinemia, malignant lymphoma, amyloidosis, monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance (MGUS).

Another important criterion for MGUS is stability of the monoclonal protein over time. Nonetheless, during long-term follow-up, an associated malignant process develops in about 30% of MGUS patients. Since none of the features defining MGUS is uniformly helpful in predicting the risk for malignant disease, patients should be followed up on a regular basis indefinitely.

Please note that you did not specify which type of monoclonal protein you are being monitored for. Hence, I am unable to provide you with more specific information.

Best regards.
 JKF - Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:46 pm

Dear Doctor, Thank you so much for your reply. Actually I have an IGG Lamda paraprotein. Maybe this will help you. Thank you. JKF
 JKF - Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:08 pm

I don't know if I have given you enough information to be helpful but this is all so complicated to me it is hard for me to understand. I just want to ask if I need to see a hematologist. I have been previously been tested by neurologist who found this on blood tests. My neurologist told me I should see a hematologist. What would you say? Thanks. JKF
 JKF - Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:06 pm

I have an appointment with a hematologist in May so I think I am on the right path. I have been being tested by neurologists so I am keeping up with it but I would like to be seen by an expert in blood problems so I think I am doing the right thing. JKF
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:23 pm

User avatar Yes JFK,
I think you are right to see a hematologist. Please keep us updated.

Best regards.
 JKF - Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:25 pm

I have my medical test results I got from my neurologist to take to the hematologist and it say the immunofixation-blood interpretation is two monoclonaL igg (lambda) are detected. This suggests either biclonal gammopathy or monoclonal gammopathy with two electrophoretically different immunoglobulin components. JKF

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here