Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: Anemia; Should I wait 2 more weeks to treat it?

Nannie - Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:26 pm

I am a 52 yr. old female. In l990 I had a heart attack with angioplasty. No problems with heart since then. I have had a complete hysterectomy. I take Toprol XL recently cut to 50mg.Estropipate 0.625 and Darvocet (for back pain.)
I have a family history of heart disease. My father died when he was 52 from a heart attack. Both brothers have high blood pressure and one has diabetes. Mother has Venus Insufficiency in legs.
I recently found a lump in my breast which showed nothing on mammogram. Gynecologyst did blood work which showed, among other things a Hemoglobin of 8.5
WBC 11.1
RBC 3.65
Hemoglobin 8.5
Hematocrit 29.3
MCV 82.0
MCH 23.4
MCHC 23.5
RDW 16.3
Platelet 726
Ferritin, Folate/Vit B-12 Within normal range

LIPID Panel
Cholesterol 240 I have an appointment
in 2 weeks with a GI
Dr. Can I wait that long
with out iron pills?
Triglycerides 246
HDL 48
LDL 143
Risk Ratio LDL/HDL 2.98

Iron Serum 19
UNsaturated IBC 180
Calculated % Iron Sat 5
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:32 pm

Please try to get in touch with your doctor earlier than that. A hemoglobin of 8.5 is too low given your past history of heart attacks.

A cause for your iron deficiency should be determined. Please note that serum ferritin is an acute-phase reactant, so that normal levels may be seen in inflammatory states, liver disease, or malignancy despite low iron stores.
 Nannie - Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:38 pm

I have called the dr office back, and the receptionest says I can't get in any sooner. I called my Dr. back to see can he get me in any sooner and never heard back. What Now?
Do I just go to the E.R. and say I'm to tired to walk? In the middle of flu season? Or just wait until Feb 9. and take my chances?

Thanks....
Tired old Nannie
 Theresa Jones, RN - Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:01 am

User avatar Hi Nannie,
A Hemoglobin level of 8.5 is quite low and certainly causes symptoms of fatigue, shortness of breath, sweats, and pallor. Generally speaking when levels drop to this value a transfusion may be recommended. A cause for your iron deficiency needs determined as well as your significantly elevated platelet value. Call your physician's office back. Do not rely on the Receptionist and wait on the line until the physician is able to speak with you. If you have no success at obtaining the opportunity to speak with your physician, it is advised for you to go into the ER, do not wait until Feb 9th for medical treatment.
 Nannie - Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:18 am

Called the Cardiologist and spoke to the nurse. She said it didn't sound like I was having trouble with my heart., and just wait until my appointment at the GI. Since it is only 6 days away now and I'm not dead yet, guess I will wait since I can't get into a Dr. office, and the Flu is so bad I really don't want to risk an ER visit since I , of course, have not had a flu shot. Any way I', m still here.
Thanks,
Still Tired Old Nannie.
 Nannie - Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:19 am

Thanks,
Still Tired Old Nannie.

|