Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: High Ferritin/Normal Iron Saturation

tschuehl - Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:01 pm

WM age 44, and have gone through a battery of tests, including: blood test(s) to determine if I have hemochromatosis, a liver biopsy, and an ultrasound.

My iron levels are normal but my ferritin level is high. On the first blood test my ferritin levels were at 980. The second time the level was 1150. The biopsy indicated only a fatty liver.

At this point both Hematologist and Gastrologist cannot find anything. I am being told to get a second opinion by family members. The labs results are what they are. Should I see someone else? Should I see someone with a different specialty? If so, why didn't the other specialist recommend the same?
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:26 pm

Ferritin is iron binding protein and represents iron stored in the body Ferritin is found in the liver, spleen, skeletal muscles, bone marrow and at low level in the blood.

Very high ferritin levels (greater than 1,000 ng/mL) can indicate an abnormal build up of iron in the body that include:
-hemochromatosis,
-alcoholism,
-thalassemia, and
-some types of anemia

Ferritin levels are not measured alone, other blood tests are needed for results interpretation, of these tests the serum iron level.

A high ferritin level and a normal serum iron is seen in conditions like:
- liver disease due to infection or alcoholism,
- chronic inflammatory disease (such as arthritis or asthma),
- hypothyroidism,
-type 2 diabetes.

It would be very helpful if you can inform us why these tests have been done, what kind of symptoms do you have and any family history of similar condition?

Follow up with your doctor is essential.
 tschuehl - Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:35 pm

The tests were done as a result of elevated LFT during normal blood work. When the results were received, the GP referred me to a hematologist and Gastrologist to understand why my ferritin reading is so high. As for my symptoms, I am not sure if I have any. I am tired most of the time but thought that was normal. There is no family history that is relative or at least that is what the hematologist said.

Much of what you have provided in your post I have learned from other postings and internet websites. What I have yet to find anywhere is that is ok for me to have these results and it just the way that I am. If I could find some exception documentation, I would leave this alone.

I have had exercise induce asthma all of my life. I do not take anything for it and never have. I was an athlete that completed at a very high level and never had any problems with the asthma. Today, I only have problems on the back side of colds and sinus infections that settle in the chest. It takes me a little longer to get over it than most people.

I do not consume alcohol with any regularity. The last time I had a drink was five months ago. I have gone to business events were I may several drinks.

I am sure if I have some form of arthritis. I am not a spring chicken anymore. I broke several bones and had two knee surgeries over the course of time. I have rotator cuff issues in one shoulder that has not been repaired. That only bothers me from time to time when I sleep.

Do I need to let this go and not put anymore thought into this?

|