News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: B12 or not B12

badeshon - Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:42 pm

My wife has recently been diagnosed with MS but the more I research and what I know of the history of her symptoms I believe it to be vitamin B12 deficiency (not yet Pernicious Anemia, I hope). We are going to our PMD to discuss it and hopefully have a Schillings test done. Now my question is can a B12 deficiency cause sarcoidosis or more specifically Uvitis (which she suffers from now) and Endometriosis (which has been treated several year ago with no reoccurrence yet). This would help us in solving the mystery of her ongoing health issues. I have read that sarcoidosis can affect the liver and the liver holds B12 in reserve. She has had no skin or lung afflictions as far as I can remember that sarcoidosis causes. I’m not pushing toward sarcoidosis as much as I believe it to be a B12 deficiency. Any insight would be helpful.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:53 am

User avatar Hello,

Sarcoidosis is an inflammatory disease that may affect any organ or system in the body.

The most commonly affected organs are:
-Lung: causing cough, pain and shortness of breath
-Skin in the form of Nodules and rash
- Eye affects vision and cause redness and lacrimal gland disorders.
-Liver :hepatomegally and elevated liver enzymes

Nodules formed by the disease can be seen on chest X-ray, CT studies etc.
Biopsy from lesions is needed for definitive diagnosis, in addition to a blood test named angiotensin-converting enzyme.

Pernicious anemia is caused by a lack of intrinsic factor that is secreted from the stomach and needed to absorb vitamin B-12 from the gastrointestinal tract. Gastric diseases are the main causes of vitamin B-12 .

It is trues that neurological effects of vitamin B-12 deficiency may be seen before anemia is diagnosed.
Investigations needed include:
-serum vitamin B-12 level
-Schilling test
-measurement of serum holotranscobalamin II

I could not get the information well is she diagnosed with sarcoidosis?
I do not understand why you relate sarcoidosis with Vit B12 deficiency that would in turn be the cause of her symptoms.

Keep us updated.
Best regards.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here