News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: Increased PLT/Potassium levels in 5 year old

sklassen - Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:22 pm

I have a 5 1/2 yr. old son who had labs done recently, the labs were ordered by his psychologist who see's him for ADHD/ODD. He informed me at the appt. today that he was concerned b/c of these levels...WBC 11.2 ; PLT 460 ; MPV 9.3 ; Potassium 5.3 ; ALK Phos 217. He asked me to get him an appt. with his pediatrician, so I did for next friday. Are these levels really high enough to be a major concern? He takes Concerta 18 mg and Remaron (very little amount, 1/4 of a tablet ea. evening). Should I try to get him in sooner with his pediatrician?
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:33 am

User avatar Hello,

Normal WBCs: 4,500–11,000/microliter (µL)3 or 4.5–11.0 x 109/Liter (SI units)
Normal Patelets count :140,000–450,000 platelets per mm3 or 150–400 x 109/Liter (SI units)
The normal range of ALKP is 44 to 147 IU/L (international units per liter).
Normal K level in Children: 3.4–4.7 mEq/L or mmol/L

Normal values may vary slightly from laboratory to laboratory.

One of the frequent side effects of Remeron is abnormal liver function tests and metabolic disturbances.

The drug Remeron is known also to cause anemia, neutropenia, thrombocytopenia.

It is not clear why his platelet count is high although mild elevation, but It could be a protective mechanism to compensate for anemia, platelet dysfunction, any bleeding tendency which is not uncommon with the use of these types of drugs.

These results show mild elevations that may transiently occur in normal healthy individual, but warrants follow up.

I advise you to follow up with his Doctor, Repeat his blood analysis, if it is persistent or getting higher, bleeding and coagulation profile, as well as kidney function tests should be done.

Keep us updated.
Best regards.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here