News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: High ferritin, low hemoglobin-Contradiction?

jclay27 - Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:42 pm

Hello, I am a 31 year old male w/ absolutely no past health problems whatsoever. I have never smoked, drank alcohol, or done drugs. Recently, i saw my general physician, complaining of blood in my urine, frequent headaches, lack of energy, and relatively rapid weight loss (25 pounds in 4 months--w/o exercizing at all). She gave me Ciprofloxacin for the bloody urine, which cleared it up in about 7 days. She took several blood tests and results recently came back. She told me that i definitely have anemia, BUT THAT MY FERRITIN LEVEL WAS HIGH WHILE MY HEMOGLOBIN LEVEL WAS LOW. This seems like a contradiction to me, considering the little internet research i have done thus far. Do i have hemochromatosis? Please help. Awaiting someone's reply. -Jeremy C.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:50 pm

User avatar Hello,

It would be very useful if you can inform us the detailed results of all the tests that have been done including:
CBC
Urine analysis
Liver functions
Bleeding tendency
etc.

Ferritin is iron binding protein and represents iron stored in the body Ferritin is found in the liver, spleen, skeletal muscles, bone marrow and at low level in the blood.

A ferritin blood test is requested to investigate certain conditions like:
•The cause of anemia.
•Diagnose hemochromatosis .
•Check for the efficacy of iron therapy

Any inflammatory disorder may result in high ferritin level.
These include:
Hemochromatosis
Hemolytic anemia
Hodgkin's lymphoma
Megaloblastic anemia

Having low HB level is expected after the hematuria.
It it very important to understand the cause of the hematuria, since hemolytic anemia should be excluded.

Keep us updated.
Best regards.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:40 pm

User avatar Also, was your ferritin level checked while you were experiencing your ill symptoms? Did your doctor determine the cause for the symptoms?

Ferritin is an acute phase reactant, meaning that in the setting of inflammation or illness, it goes up. It's best to have your ferritin level checked again while you are well.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here