Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: High WBC and confused

bear_hugs - Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:13 am

I am a 26 yr old F who recently received some high WBC results and am not sure how concerned I should be. I have been tested 4 times over the last month and the results are below.

01/03/07
WBC 16.2 (range states it should be between 4-10.5)
Neutrophilis (Absolute) 10.9 (range states it should be between 1.8-7.8)

01/11/07
WBC 20.0
Neutrophilis (Absolute) 15.4

01/18/07
WBC 19.9
Neutrophilis (Absolute) 13.9

01/22/07
WBC 23.4
And I forgot what the Neutrophilis (Absolute) was but I know it was still high

I am not taking any medications that could be raising my WBC and I don’t have any symptoms of any type of infection. My only complaint is fatigue.

Are the WBC high enough that I should be concerned or could this just be some type of minor infection? I am just very confused.

Any advice you could provide would be greatly appreciated!
 Dr. Leigh Anderson - Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:50 am

User avatar Normally a serious bacterial infection causes the body to produce an increased number of neutrophils, resulting in a higher than normal white blood cell count (WBC). A seriouse infection would be considered in a range of over 40,000 cell per.

Your body at some point could have been exposed to a virus and your immune system was compromised so your body started producing more WBC to fight off the impending infection. It is normal to feel fatiqued when your body is working overtime to fight off any infection.

The white blood cell count is done by counting the number of white blood cells in a sample of blood. A normal WBC is in the range of 4,000 to 11,000 cells per .

If you do not feel better within the next week, contact your doctor .

Keep In Touch

Dr. Anderson

|