Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: Interpreting WBC/Diff Values

ChristineVA - Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:03 am

I am a 43 y/o female with a previous history of thyroid cancer (1995 and "all clear" now). I don't smoke or drink. I have GERD and have been taking Prilosec since 1998. I am 5'7" and 145 lbs.

Last year, while visiting a dermatologist for a rash, I was tested for Lupus (negative). Incidentally, it was found that I had some form of anemia as my Hb, Hct, and RBCs were just below the normal ranges.

Two months later, I followed up with my endocrinologist and it was discovered that I still had mild anemia but it was stable.

I then took everything to my PCP (and started iron supplementation). After 6 weeks of iron supplementation, the anemia resoloved itself; however my ferritin level is at 5. I also had a fecal occult stool test that was negative; however, I am following up with my GI specialist to rule out colon issues. Celiact tests were negative.

This brings me to my last round of tests. My doctor did not even mention to me and I did not discover it until I picked up the lab reports to take to my GI doctor.

My WBC was slightly elevated at 11.0 (range is 4.0-10.5)

My neutrophils were at 84 (normal is 40-74)
Absolute neutrophils were 9.3 (normal is 1.8-7.8)
Lymphs were low at 11 (normal 14-46).

At the time of the test, I did not have any infection that I am aware of that would elevate my WBC.

My concern is my neutrophils--they have been consistently elevated for almost two years.

As for the lymphs -- this is the first time I've ever gotten a low reading.

I am starting to become more concerned by this and am wondering what it could indicate. My "internet" research suggests there might be some imflammatory process going on (such as lupus) however I am supposedly negative for that.

Can you tell me what high neutrophils/low lymphs might represent?

Thank you.
 ChristineVA - Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:28 am

I also suffer from a generalized anxiety disorder and get VERY stressed out when I go to the doctor. I did have someone tell me that they though stress/anxiety could affect the neutrophil count. Could I be doing this to myself??

|