Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: Low iron, enlarged Lymph nodes

Robyn_c - Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:44 pm

Hello.
I am a 21 year old female with 2 children ( 4 and 17 months) . i was diagnosed with low iron about 4 months ago.. my levels we 3.2.

My heamaglobin was 114 (i think).

I did not respond to iron tablets and have now started on a course of weekly ferrum injections over a month. I have also had enlarged lymph nodes in my neck and now they are also under my arm and in my groin.

My Dr has told me to wait until my last iron injection which is about a weekaway and then he would retest my iron levels sometime after that. I am just panicking now becuase i don't feel any better. I am still excessivley tired and feel weak. And i don't like having to wait so long to know what is worng but my dr said not to see him until the course of irons shots.

i have also noticed that i am bruising quite easily and the bruises are taking a long time to go away.

What i am wondering is if i should seek more medical adviice sooner or if i am just over reacting and worrying about nothing? Does this sound like something concerning or is it fairly normal?

My past surgeies include 2 D&Cs and I had my right ovary removed 2 years ago due to a cyst and ovarian torsion.

There is a history of some cancer in my family. My aunt had breast cancer, my mothers dad had non hodgkins lymphoma and also later in life bowel cancer, and two of my aunts died of brain tumours.

I am currently taking Zoloft for anxiety/deression and occasionaly taking temazepam for sleeping.

Any advice would be greatly appreicated. Thankyou

Robyn
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:30 am

It would be more helpful if you can provide us more details about the results of the blood tests requested by your doctor.

If you have not performed tests for bleeding tendency then you better do them. These include:
- CBC (platelets) surely it is done before.
-PT, PC
-Clotting time and bleeding time.
This is to see if you have really a bleeding tendency (which may explain why you bruise easily).

Regarding being tired exhausted, of course anemia will cause that, but if I understand well you have a 4 month child and may be lactating. This is alone can causes symptoms similar to your yours and having anemia will aggravate your condition.

Keep us updated.
 Robyn_c - Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:05 pm

Im sorry i could not provide more details. I do not actually have the results they are with my gp but i do know that he did test lots of things including white blood cells and all that stuff that goes along with that. The only thing that showed up as abnormal was my iron and ferratin which were both very low.

I think i must have made myself unclear when talking about my children. I have a 4 year old (not 4 months) and a 17 month old. I am not breatfeeding.

Are the lymph nodes
something to be concerned about?

Thanks again.
Robyn

|