Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: Multiple enlarged lymph nodes in groin

jackie_s84 - Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:27 am

Hello

I am a 22 y.o female who around six months ago noticed two enlarged lymph nodes in my groin on right hand side.
After numerous and numerous tests I underwent blood tests, X-Rays, Urine tests etc and all shown up as normal.

I show no other symptoms, but when I had un ultrasound done of the lymph nodes, the results found that i had actually more than the two I originally found. There is about four on my left hand side in my groin, but not as enlarged as the two on the right.

I underwent a lymph node biopsy with a fine needle three days ago. The surgeon told me that the results came out "unclear" and that they arent sure if they should take one out and test for cancer or leave it a few months.

My problem is that I have had these lumps for months now and no one is giving me an answer. Does this seem like something to worry about? and should i maybe get a second opinion, I just want to put my mind at rest.

Also the lymph nodes have gotten harder over the last month - the surgeon described them as "more prominent" im not sure what that means? Can someone help me??
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:14 am

The inguinal lymph nodes are situated in the crease between the leg and pelvis (more on the outside of that crease, ie, laterally).
They drain the penis, scrotum, vulva, vagina, perineum, gluteal region, lower abdominal wall, lower anal canal.

Abnormal Lymph node enlargement tends to commonly result from infection / immune response, cancer.
Common causes of enlarged inguinal nodes include infections of the leg or foot, and STDs.

Nodes are generally considered to be normal if they are up to 1 cm in diameter; however, some authors suggest that inguinal nodes larger than 1.5 cm should be considered abnormal
If it is painful or tender this indicate infection or inflammation.

Sometimes, following infection Lymph nodes remain permanently enlarged, though they should be non-tender, small (less the 1 cm), have a rubbery consistency and none of the characteristics described for malignancy (hard, fixed, increasing progressively in size). These are also known as 'Shotty Lymph nodes'.
Of significance, an increase in nodal size on serial examinations.

Routine blood tests include CBC, ESR, LDH, LFT they are helpful in the diagnosis.
Abdomino-pelvic US is recommended.
Lymph node biopsy is preferable to FNAC.

Direct clinical examination is essential.

Keep us updated.

|