News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: High WBC

aprilgirl12 - Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:42 pm

HI, I'm a 20 year old female. I had a blood test done and found that my WBC was high.

Results showed:
WBC count 13.1 (normal 4.0-11.0)
absolute: neutros 9.1 (normal 2.0-7.5)
lymph 3.1 (normal 1.1-3.3)
mono 0.7 (normal 0-0.8)
eos 0.2 (normal 0-0.5)
baso 0 (normal 0-02)
hemoglobin 128 (normal 115-165)
hematocrit 0.383 (normal 0.37-0.47)
RBC count 4.38 (normal 3.80-5.80)
platelet count 367 (normal 150-400)
TSH 4.68 (normal 0.30-4.70)
ferritin 20 (normal 13-145)

are these numbers anything to be concerned about?

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:59 am

User avatar Hi!

You really should ask the doctor who ordered the blood test, as the significance of such a test is always taken in relation to your clinical condition.

Depending on the context it may be a reaction to an infection or a side effect of a medicine you are taking.

An elevated white blood cell count typically reflects the normal response of bone marrow to an infectious or inflammatory process (tissue necrosis, infarction, burns, arthritis).

An increase in neutrophils is the most common cause of an elevated white blood cell count as in your case. But other subpopulations of cells (eosinophils, basophils, lymphocytes and monocytes) can also give rise to increased leukocyte numbers.

Stress such as overexertion, seizures, anxiety, anesthesia can also lead to leukocytosis.

Drugs that cause leukocytosis include (corticosteroids, lithium, beta agonists).

Trauma such as splenectomy; hemolytic anemia; leukemoid malignancy can all lead to elevated leukocytic counts.

Occasionally, leukocytosis is the sign of a primary bone marrow abnormality in white blood cell production, maturation or death related to a leukemia or myeloproliferative disorder (acute leukemias, chronic leukemias, myeloproliferative disorders).

The peripheral smear should always be inspected to detect blast cells (leukemia), band forms and toxic granulation.

Best regards,
 aprilgirl12 - Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:17 pm

Hi, thanks for your reply. I recently had an abdominal ultrasound and was told that my spleen was enlarged. Could this be related to the increased WBC count?
Thanks.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:03 am

User avatar Like I said it all depends on the clinical setting. Have you been told why your spleen is enlarged and if the enlargement is considered signifcant or not? An enlarged spleen and increased leukocytes can be related - but not always.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here