News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: Concerned mom - low wbc/platlettes

partyof5forme - Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:38 pm

I'm hoping for some advice on causes of the following for my daughter. She had backpain, fever since Monday. Fever and backpain have subsided, but had a rash on stomach/back yesterday, and little raised bumps have developed randomly on hand/arm. Had reg. labwork done per dr. on Tues. - came back with wbc=1.7, platette count 90K. Had repeat test thur. with wbc 1.6, same platlette count. And some other issue with nucleus (I didn't understand the explanation on this). Saw a hemotologist yest. who said it could be many things and would continue testing until we got an answer. We have to wait 2 weeks (agonizing) to get results from more bloodwork done today and spleen u/s scheduled next week. He did say Leukemia was "unlikely". I am optomistic also, but would like to know realisticly what could be causing these odd symptoms.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:11 pm

User avatar The more severe end of the spectrum would be leukemia. This should most definitely be explored because missing this would be bad.

Once leukemia has been ruled out, the most likely cause is a viral infection that is suppressing the bone marrow. This is a very common cause of low WBC and platelet count. Often, only one of the cell lines is affected, but all can be effected to some degree by a viral infection.

Autoimmune diseases can cause these types of issues also but again much more commonly only one cell is effected. For this reason I think this is quite about less likely.

Your doctor may recommend a bone marrow biopsy if the diagnosis cannot be made by other tests. This will let your hematologist look at the area making the cells to see directly what is going on. The procedure is relatively simple.

Without being able to examine your daughter I can't get much more specific. I suspect, in the end, the diagnosis will be a viral infection just based on statistical odds. Follow up with your doctor is important.

Best wishes. Keep us updated.
 partyof5forme - Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:42 am

thanks for your help. One question, my daughter started itching (hands and feet) yesterday and this morning and her skin has white spots mostly on her legs. One thing I thought of was she stopped taking her allergy shots about 6 weeks ago....would this cause the wbc to be low, or the other symptoms? thanks again
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:32 am

User avatar It would be a little unusual for allergies to cause a low WBC or platelet count. If she has a virus that is also causing the rash the two may be related.

Keep us updated. Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here