Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: Abnormal blood results after stroke

harry1967 - Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:19 pm

My 85 year old Gran has been struggling to walk over the last few months and especially so over the last month.
Then last SUnday she had a mild stroke but has not been admitted to hospital. The right side of her body was effected. Her eyes were fixed to the left after the stroke and her right side of the body was effected. Her speech is also slurred.
SHe can now see to all angles and there is a grip on her right hand and she is saying the odd phrase now and then.
She had blood taken after the stroke and the results are worrying me.
Can any one help me diagnose them?
The results are:

GFR CALCULATED ABBREVIATED MDRD (c) 28 mL/min/1.73m\S\2

Serum Potassium 6. 3 mmol/L
Serum Creatine 155 umol/L
Serum Urea Level 13. 7 mmol/L
MCV 74. 2
Total White Cell COunt 13. 3
Neutrophil Count 11. 91
Eos 0. 43
Lymphocuyte Count 0. 65
Platelet Count 636
Serum Ferritin 22 ug/L
Red Blood Cell Distribution Width 20. 8
Haemoglobin Estimation 9. 5
Haematocrit 0. 3 l/l
MCH 23. 5 pg
MCHC 31. 6 g/dl
IS THERE ANYTHING ISHOULD BE WORRIED ABOUT?
PLEASE HELP.
THANKS.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:30 pm

User avatar I am having a bit of trouble determining which of these labs are normal and which are not as I am not familiar with these units.

From what I can see, it appears that you grandmother's kidney function is slightly decreased. (GFR stands for glomerular filtration rate which is essentially kidney function. Normal is above 60 ml/minute/meter squared.)

I suspect her creatinine is slightly high base on her decreased GFR.

It also appears that she may be a little anemic (Hemoglobin of 9.5, normal would be around 12-14). This may be due to blood loss, iron deficiency or other cause.

The platelet count is increased. This is likely in response to inflammation as a result of the stroke. During the acute illness, many factors, including platelets, will increase. These are termed acute phase reactants. Ferritin is one of these compounds as well.

Her WBC count (the cells that fight infection) is slightly elevated. This is also likely due to stress as her differential appears to reflect a shift towards newer cells. This may also be a sign of infection but if there are no other indicators of infection it is likely due to stress on the body.

I am unable to comment any further due to my limited knowledge of these units. My apologies for this.

The most important thing for her right now is close follow up with her doctor to ensure that the healing process is continuing appropriately.

Best wishes. I hope your grandmother has a speedy recovery.
 harry1967 - Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:47 am

Thank you Dr. Chan Lowe for the reply.
The units are from the UK and I am assuming USA units are different?
I have included the Ranges if that helps you evalute the results.
All of the below are abnormal.
I did forget to mention that my GrandMother is on Insulin for diabetes and has been for the last 9 years.
Her iron levels in January were 5. 2 and have risen to 9. 5 as she is on 3 Ferrous Sulphate a day. She is also on Folic Acid and a multi-vitamin.
Having said that, she had been getting weaker and weaker over the last two weeks in particular (in addition to getting weaker over the last few months). I still feel there is an underlying cause for her stroke which our doctor is not telling us about.

Serum Potassium 6. 3 Range 3. 5-5. 1
Serum Creatine 155 Range 53-97
Serum Urea Level 13. 7 Range 2. 5-6. 7
MCV 74. 2 Range 78-100.
Total White Cell COunt 13. 3 Range 4. 5-11. 00
Neutrophil Count 11. 91 Range 1. 80-7. 70
Eos 0. 43 Range <.40
Lymphocuyte Count 0. 65 Range 1. 10-4. 80
Platelet Count 636 Range 140-450
Serum Ferritin 22 ug/L Range 5-204
Red Blood Cell Distribution Width 20. 8 Range 11. 8-14. 8
Haemoglobin Estimation 9. 5 Range 11. 5-15. 5
Haematocrit 0. 3 l/l Range 0. 360-0. 4
MCH 23. 5 pg Range26-34

Regards Harry.

|