Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: Could really use some help here please......

jodster - Wed Jul 07, 2004 7:40 pm

Hello, I am wondering if anyone can help me out here. I am just concerned and worried and of course full of fear and anxiety at the moment. The day after I gave birth to my son 15 months ago I developed massive nosebleeds that lasted about a week, I went through the cauterization, packing etcetc and finally they stopped and never returned. It was pretty scary and the doctors wre baffled saying they had never seen anything quite like it before. Anyhow, I am now 7 months pregnant and have just been released from the hospital after another episode and week stay a;lthough this time was much worse. They packed my nose this time the first time yet I still continues to bleed 4-5 times a day for about 4 days. I had to take blood transfusions because my hemoglobin dropped to 70 whatever that means and they wanted to operate but wre afraid of putting me in to labour. Anyhow, they finally stopped and the ENT's that were called in and treating me said that although nosebleeds are common in pregnancy, ones this severe are rare but must be due to the hormones etcetc. They also hve put e on no lifting and bedrest for the remainder becauswe they say they can return at any time athough bedrest really didn't help all that much in the hospital. I am just wondering if anyone is familiar with this and if there is any advice to prevent another episode. I am full of fear and anxiety and keep wondering if something like this could kill me. I mean, can you die of a nosebleed if you are trated in hospital for it??? Just overly paranoid I guess. Anyhow, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Jody
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Fri Jul 09, 2004 3:40 am

User avatar Dear Jody,
As you noted nose bleeds can happen during pregnancy because of the hormonal changes that occur during pregnancy. Basically there are two main types of epistaxis (nose bleeds):
1. One that happens from the front of the nose (anterior)
2. One that happens from the vessels in the back of the nose (posterior).

While the anterior variety is more common and less severe, the posterior variety can be quite alarming. The posterior variety could be arterial in origin and could be quite hard to control.

You are justified to be anxious. You should have a panel of investigations performed to rule out any correctable cause for increased bleeding tendency. You should also discuss with your doctor who to contact and where to go to if your nose bleeds should not be controlled with first aid measures at home.

|