Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: Elevated Platelet Count

ltammaro - Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:01 pm

I'm a 36 year old female and have never had an abnormal cbc until now. My platelet are 451, poly is 71 and mono is 3. The only thing I've done different is eat weight watcher food, which I'm told could have affected my levels. The doctor told me not to be nervous but to come back in a month for repeat blood test. I am panicking thinking it's cancer. What could he be looking for? My wbc is 10.7 and I fall in the normal range of 4.5-11.0 but I just barely make it!!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:31 pm

User avatar Platelets are an acute phase reactant, meaning that any inflammation can cause them to increase. It is likely that you had a viral infection that may have even been unnoticed that caused them to increase.

I would agree with your doctor about having them checked in about a month.

Cancer is very low on the list of possibilities.

ltammaro - Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:33 pm

Well my doctor said that my platelets are still "slightly elevated" and has me taking a baby aspirin daily. I've had a jak2 test done also and it's come back negative. My tests have shown no iron deficiency, anemia or inflammation. He thinks I may have essential thrombocythemia, even though the jak2 tested negative. He said not to worry about this, should have no impact on my life whatsoever but to come back for a repeat blood test in 6 months. He said the only other test I could do but he doesn't suggest I do now is a bone marrow test that he can do in his office to determine if I definately have this conditon. If I had cancer or leukemia, it would've shown up already, right and he wouldn't have me wait 6 months to come back? When I think of bone marrow, I immediately think of leukemia. I should mention that my primary care doctor is also an oncologist and hematologist so I should feel better but I panic. I asked him if he thought I had cancer/leukemia and he said nothing is 100% but he's giving me 99%. Should I be nervous??
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:48 pm

User avatar I'd agree with your doctor. It does not sound as if there is any indication of leukemia at this point.

A recheck in six months is primarily just a precaution to ensure nothing is changing.

|